Saturday, March 08, 2008

An Uncomfortable Weekend

Way back on February 8 I reported that a biopsy result had come back negative, and that I apparently didn't have throat cancer. You can rest assured that the booze flowed like - well, booze that night.

Which left one teensy problem.

I still have the sore throat.

So the doctor and I sat down and talked things over, and he scheduled me for a PET scan. A PET scan involves you not eating or drinking (or even brushing your teeth or rinsing your mouth) after midnight the day of the exam, then getting injected with a type of sugar tagged with a radioactive isotope. Any area of your body that's showing a high rate of metabolic activity will take up the sugar, and as the sugar is metabolized the isotope merrily decays. Then they stick you under a radiation detector, and those areas show up as bright spots.

The scan showed five bright spots, all in my neck and throat area.

The doctor and I talked things over, and he was determined (as was I) to get to the bottom of this. So, in rapid succession I received a chest X-ray, a CAT scan, an EKG, some bloodwork and clearance from a cardiologist.

I went into the day surgery yesterday morning, and came out yesterday afternoon. A little lighter for the experience, as I'm missing a hunk out of my tongue, a hunk out of the right side of the back of my throat, and two lymph nodes from under my chin. Needless to say, I also have some pain meds and my diet's rather, um, restricted for the moment.

Results will be in on Thursday, to determine once and for all what's been making my throat sore for almost a year now.

Stay tuned ...

4 Comments:

Blogger nunya said...

sending goo thoughts your way...

hang in there, eh?

4:42 PM EST  
Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

Walt I can't even imagine what an ordeal this must be. And it sounds like your throat must hurt so much more now. I really care about you, Walt and all I can do is pray that you'll be alright.
Love
liz

8:18 AM EDT  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hoping that you feel much better sooner than you think you will.

2:46 PM EDT  
Blogger Sara said...

Good heavens!

Lots of healthy throat mojo, and 'let it all come back negative' mojo, is headed your way, from me and the furkids.

Take care :)

12:23 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home