Sunday, January 27, 2008

Primary Eve Candidate Assessment

As promised, here is my final take on the GOP candidates going into the Florida Primary on Tuesday.


First of all, let me say that I've been a Republican voter ever since I became old enough to vote in 1979.

I deplore the choices I have for the Florida primary on January 29. Is this the best my Party can produce to win this election?

Rudy Giuliani. Used the NYPD to drive his mistress around and walk her dog, failed to provide proper radios (and has had the gall to use 9/11 footage in his campaign ads), proposes tax cuts that will be paid for with - surprise! - more tax cuts, and has flip-flopped on some social issues. Oh, and his lobbying group did work for a known al-Qaeda supporter. His endorsement of a National Catastrophe Fund is just a red-meat sop to us Florida voters.

Mitt Romney. Mitt moved from one part of the political spectrum to the other so fast it almost gave me whiplash. He wants to be a CEO President, the same thing that George W Bush said he was. Mitt, after eight years of a "CEO President" and seeing what havoc he's caused, do you think we really want another one so soon?

Mike Huckabee. I guess no one bothered to tell the Governor-Reverend that in this country the People are sovereign and all our laws derive from that sovereignty. The last thing we need right now, given all our problems, is someone who doesn't believe in science and thinks that the Constitution should be changed to force women to give up their freedom and return to the kitchen. If he wants to live in a country run by religion, let him run for President of Iran.

John McCain. I admire him for his service to our country, and respect him for the pains he suffered as a result of that service. His stance on the war in Iraq could be better, along with a few other things, but the worst thing I find is his pandering to the religious right. Especially after the way he was treated in 2000.

These are the four top contenders; the others in the field (Thompson, Paul and Keyes) are largely non-factors.

Based on what we Republicans have to select from, I feel that the Grand Old Party is going to go the way of the dodo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home