Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Value of Time

This is my 1,000th post to this blog. I started writing down bits of my political philosophy, views, opinions and other things (recipes, poetry, reviews, etc.) back in June 2005, six months after George W Bush's second term began.

I was fed up then - fed up with the direction the country was going, fed up with a useless war that should have never been allowed to start, fed up with the brassy braying of all the "America, love it or leave it!" types who now are seriously favoring secession from the country they putatively love so much, fed up with not being able to vent, fed up with not having a forum to make my opinions known.

The last straw then, as I recall, was the rejection of an anti-war poem by my local paper. The local paper publishes poetry, but unless it has Jesus in it they really aren't too interested in anything that, you know, might make people uncomfortable, or think.

So I started to blog.

After a while I was invited to post as a guest blogger on Blondesense, which gave me a somewhat wider audience. I'm indebted to you, Liz, for giving me the opportunity and for encouraging my behavior.

The range of subjects I've posted on illustrates my polymathic bent - food, literature, religion, politics, history, general science, etc. I've posted vacation pictures, and have by and large received favorable comments.

I've gone so far as to make political predictions (notably on the 2008 elections), and I'm happy to say that I've been right more often than not.

So, what about the next one thousand posts?

Expect more of the same, of course.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Congratulations! Here's to another 1,000 and then another 1,000 after that.

9:26 AM EDT  
Anonymous liz said...

Congratulations, Walt. Like Sara said, here's to another thousand or two or three....

10:34 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home