Wednesday, December 08, 2010

The Winter of Our Discontent


Well, so much for any semblance of "Change."

President Obama capitulated to the incoming House Republicans a day or so ago, agreeing to extending the Bush tax cuts for the very wealthy while also agreeing to a cut in the payroll tax (which endangers Social Security) and a 13-month extension of unemployment benefits.

Now, the President has confronted the naysayers in his own party, saying that compromise is as American as genocide and pollution. Well, that's true, but I say that as long as you have a legislative majority you use the motherfucker. Hopefully get some shit done BEFORE the Party that pledged to obstruct and never work with you comes into power in the House.

This marks the third time the President bowed to the GOP, watering things down on health care and the stimulus in futile pursuit of an illusion called "bipartisanship."

Sometimes I find myself wishing I had a boatload of money and the ability to lie easily.

I'd have a bit of fun as President.

Of course (like Alfonso X), "were I of God's counsel at the Creation, things would have been ordered differently."

(The picture is my car, bearing the first frost of the season this morning.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home