Sunday, June 12, 2005

Howard Dean - the Dems' Newt Gingrich

As a Republican, I know that I'm supposed to hate Howard Dean and everything he stands for, because a) he's a - gasp! - Democrat, and b) because of his recent statements. Well, to my way of thinking hatred requires a personal knowledge of the person. I must say that I've never met the Doctor, so I can't hate him.

Now, his recent statements: Dean has said nothing but the truth, and you have to give him credit for that. According to the demographics, the GOP is 81% white and Christian. With all respect to Rep. Cantor and RNC Chairman Mehlman, Jewish Republicans are probably in the minority (along with African-Americans, women and gays - oh, and anyone who's Republican and NOT a Christian). To be fair, the Democratic Party is 58% white and Christian.

And it's also true that some Republicans probably have not needed to do a fair days' work for a fair days' wage - but then, you could say the same about some of the Democrats.

When I hear Dr. Dean letting the GOP have the sharp edge of his tongue, I'm reminded of Newt Gingrich. He never tired of lambasting the Democrats at every opportunity, and his overheated rhetoric served as a rallying cry for the GOP.

Dean is exactly what the Democrats need. He can rally the grassroots members and mobilize support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home