Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I Hate Being Right

In the days immediately following 9/11/01, I was worried about one thing - that the United States would act out of fear, rather than calmly and dispassionately trying to work out a solution. To quote a movie, "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate - leads to suffering."

As the runup to the invasion of Iraq grew more and more strident, I could see the Fear enveloping the government. I knew that this would end badly.

I hate being right.

Hard upon the heels of the discovery of the mutilated bodies of two of our soldiers, a coworker suggested that we "kill and mutilate them all" (presumably meaning the terrorists, although for every one we kill, another seems to take his place).

"Are we better than they are?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Then does our killing and mutilating them make us better, or just like them?"

He conceded that he was just angry, and I understood that.

I'm angry too, but I will not let either fear, anger or hate cloud my judgment.

***
Let the dead rest in peace, honored by all for their service and commitment.
Damn all those who misled them to their deaths.
We shall never forgive.
We shall never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home