Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Vacation Pictures, #1

Hi there!

As promised, here are the start of my vacation pictures. I've had to be a bit picky, as my computer only has a dial-up connection right now (I'm looking into upgrading). So, we begin!


Welcome to Germany! This is the entrance to Franz Josef Strauss International Airport in Munich. To the right is the Hotel Kempinski, and ahead is the bank of escalators and stairs leading down to the communter rail station. See, a cab can take you where you want to go, but it could take an hour and cost you the equivalent of $50. The commuter trains leave from this platform every 20 minutes or so, are a lot faster, and only cost about $12.


At the entrance to the pedestrian-only shopping zone of Neuhauser and Kauflinger Streets is the Karlsplatz. This broad plaza with its huge fountain is a popular gathering place just between the shopping area and the central train station. It's also a major road intersection and tram stop.


This is one of the gates to the old city of Munich, the Karlstor or Charles Gate. Although it was first mentioned in 1201, it's been rebuilt several times over the years. Since the sun was in my eyes as I entered the shopping district, I waited until I was through the gate before taking this picture.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

Fascinating. Lovely. Wish I went too!

8:38 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home