Monday, October 16, 2006

Day 8.5: Where to Eat, Where to Shop

Well, a brief time out while I brief those of you who are reading this on what I`ve learned after a week of Munich life:

1. Shopping

I figured out that bags cost money. I went to a small market to pick up a few things, and the bag cost me E0.09. That market is called Aldi Süd, and is what you might find in any big city - a small place that sells necessities (bread, meat, eggs, diapers, pet food, etc.).

A larger market is Rewe; bigger selection, wider variety and slightly higher costs.

If you don`t mind riding escalators, you could try the Kaufhof or Hertie department stores. These two sell EVERYTHING.

Another place worth poking your nose into is Saturn, which sells appliances and electronic goods.

2. Dining

Well, what can I say? If you`ve been following along, you can tell that I`m not missing any meals at all (my waistline shows it!). But if you`re ever in the neighborhood, here`s a few tips:

American-style breakfasts are not usual here - witness the fact that neither McD`s nor BK have a breakfast menu. Fresh-squeezed juices (orange, carrot, apple, etc.) are the norm, along with a pastry, some fruit or cheese. One breakfast selection I saw at a restaurant offered weisswurst, fruit, cheese and a beer. I`m not kidding.

Beer here is under the Reinheitsgebot - the 400 year old decree that the beer must be made to strict standards of purity. As a result, the beer is excellent and nutritious, and I can down a half-liter of it (a liter is slightly larger than a quart) with little trouble afterward.

Now, I missed two restaurant reviews over the past week. One is the Cafe Greco in the Neue Pinakothek (which I viewed last Wednesday). I had a fairly traditional Münchener lunch there: a slice of leberkäse the size of a ham steak, fried until it had a crispness to the surface, and served with a fried egg on top. I say fairly traditional because I had a glass of good Merlot with it.

Another is Haus Ming, on the Schwanthalerstrasse just down from my hotel. The Chinese food there is not bad at all - I can recommend the sweet and sour pork.

So, what restaurants can I recommend?

Any VinzenzMurr franchise - they serve other things beside leberkäse, after all.

Augustiner Restaurant, on Neuhauserstrasse.

Schneider Bräuhaus, just east of where the pedestrian shopping area ends (what is known as the Tal or Valley, traditionally the area between the last city gate and the river).

And you know the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home