Saturday, March 10, 2007

Vacation Pictures - German Alps #2

And here's the second half of my trip to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the highest mountain in Germany, the Zugspitze.
As you can see it was a beautiful day at the summit, the weather very clear (it was a bit chilly, but nothing I couldn't handle - besides, with the sun beating down I felt pretty warm). This view is down into the valley towards the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
The cable car that provides a direct route to the summit has its terminal at this lake, called the Eissee. The glaciers that once covered this region year-round scooped the earth out of the way, and the lake itself is fed from glacial runoff.
This view is out toward Austria. I can only guess how far away the horizon is, but my guess would be about 40 miles.
Yours Truly at the summit's observation platform. The cross behind me marks the actual summit of the mountain, at 9,734 feet above sea level.

The cross is accessible, if you're willing to risk your life on cable railings and metal ladders to reach it. I decided not to try.

Quite a view, huh? Again, this is looking east toward Austria, but down (out of shot at the bottom is the plateau where the resort and the ski lifts are).

Part of the summit's outpost is a weather observatory, and you can see by the sky that there'd be very good seeing for optical telescopes.

One of the views on the way back down the mountain, after the cog train came out of the tunnel. These pictures, I remind you, were taken in mid-October as the leaves were turning. I took a lot of pictures of trees.

Here's the Eissee again, as seen from the cog railway. The scenery is lovingly tended and spectacular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home