Sunday, May 04, 2008

Minor Stuff

I saw early this past week that Ben Stein and some right-wing yahoo on the telly (I forget who - maybe the Rodeo Clown) were yammering about how religion is being attacked and is fading away in this country.
I have to call bullshit on that. As times become more uncertain, reason and materialism take a back seat to religion, as people reach for a consoling influence in their lives. Be honest, Barack Obama was right: People who have lost faith in the economy, in institutions and are uncertain enough to buy firearms because they think the police won't protect them will turn to God.
Thanks to the Bush Administration, religion in the United States has a VERY secure future.

***

A volcano in Chile, dormant for 10,000 years, suddenly woke up and started demanding sacrificial virgins. A friend of mine snarked on it, saying that the Liberals were saying the eruption was Bush's fault. Again, magic thinking.

***

I started a new story for the Spontoon Island website, an eight-part history of the fictional Rain Island Anarchcracy. Titled A Busy Half-Century, it details the first fifty years of the nation from its secession from Canada in 1885.
It's been rather fun trying to plausibly describe a nation run under anarcho-syndicalist principles.
It'll be posted to the site when it's done (probably in a few weeks or so - the site's server is being worked on so there were no new posts after the May Day entries).
Meanwhile, I am still proceeding with my neverending serial, Luck of the Dragon, as well as other stories.

***

I decided that I needed some Me Time yesterday after all the work I've been doing, so I drew a tub of very hot water (plain water, no additives), poured myself a snifter of Amaretto and settled in with a good book.
An hour later I roused myself (before I drowned), and slept eight straight hours.
Bliss.

***

The question before the panel is no longer if we'll attack Iran, it's when. Bush wants an enduring legacy, and if we're not very careful he'll leave us one.

***

It's fun to watch birds sometimes, especially when they're fighting over the bird feeder.

***

So, what's happening in your little piece of the Best of All Possible Worlds?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home