Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Letter

The President of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, sent a letter to Dear Leader recently, marking a milestone in US-Iranian affairs. After all, it's been about 27 years since the last time we were on speaking terms with that country.

Now, what did he say?

Well, basically (I only just finished reading the translation, found on CNN) I consider a few things substantive, some rhetorical, and the overall impression might be surprising.

The substantive bits are a passing reference to Iran's nuclear program, and Ahmadinejad raises a valid point - why must the US consider any technological advance in the Middle East a threat to Israel? Are the Israelis children? Do they require our constant supervision?

The rhetorical part covers quite a bit of ground, but boils down to needling Dear Leader about his professions of Christianity while doing not at all Christlike things.

The overall impression? Were I Dear Leader (or even his Secretaryette of State) I would consider this an opening. I'd write him back, thanking him for his letter and suggesting that, since we're both reasonable people, we should meet somewhere and talk through our differences.

But this is important: I'd start with an apology.

You heard me right.

He alludes to the 1953 overthrow of the Mossadegh government that strengthened the Shah into an absolutist ruler and eventually led to the Islamic Republic. That coup was engineered by the CIA, people. So we're responsible for that, and I think an apology would be in good order.

But, of course, Condi "Beware My Manly Scowl of Bitchiness" Rice rejected the letter out of hand, and matters continue to slide inexorably to yet another Bush fiasco.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

Maybe other countries wouldn't be rushing to get nukes if the US wasn't so frantically building them. And seriously, I think Israel is more capable of taking care of itself than the US is.

Oh that condie just pissed me off last night, dismissing the letter before I got a chance to read it.

1:50 PM EDT  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

When you want to go to war, you don't make nice with the people you want to fight. I think the administration wants to hit Iran in hopes of bringing the poll numbers up to where they were after 9-11 and when the US invaded Iraq. Remember he told us, he is a war president. He didn't of course mention a war winning president, just one who starts wars.
He has no idea what diplomacy is and I don't think he sees any need of it as long as he can send others to fight and die in his wars.

11:39 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home