Friday, May 12, 2006

There Used To Be A Thing ...

Called America.

I recall that there used to be a thing called America where people called themselves free, and actually were.

Where there was something called personal privacy, and that was protected by a Constitutional Amendment that demanded something called a warrant in order to violate that privacy.

Where there were laws, and capable people sworn to enforce them, all the way up to the highest office in the land.

Where there were three equal branches of government, who balanced against each other very nicely, and resisted any attempt by the others to influence them.

Where people were free to worship any Deity they chose to worship (or not), and no one could object.

Where there were laws and taxes so that the rich could not grind the faces of the poor into the dirt.

Yes, there used to be a thing called America.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

Know what I've figured out, walt? that it was all a dream.. but then again, I liked that dream, that illusion of the old America. But it's true, I didn't feel so much like I was suspect because of my beliefs in the past.

4:37 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home