Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy 4th of July!

Since it seems to be a bit of a meme out there, here's a list of movies and music that I think are appropriate for this 4th of July:

Favorite 4th of July movie: "Yankee Doodle Dandy," starring the immortal James Cagney (yeah, I'm a sentimental old bastard, so sue me.)
Second favorite 4th of July movie: "Duck Soup," starring the Marx Brothers (far and away the best antiwar and antigovernment film ever, imo.)

Music that means "America" to me on this 4th:
Appalachian Spring - Copeland
Little Pink Houses - Mellencamp
American Pie - McLean
God Bless America - Berlin
Fanfare for the Common Man - Copeland
Born in the USA - Springsteen
This Land is Your Land - Guthrie
1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky (a great accompaniment to fireworks)
Stars and Stripes Forever - Sousa
War Pigs - Black Sabbath

***

Our President has asked us to show our support for the troops on this 4th of July. Pity he won't show his own level of support by comforting a grieving widow or attending even one soldier's funeral. He did the photo op thing earlier in the week by visiting the wounded results of his dandy little war, though.

I have served (albeit briefly) in the military forces of this nation. I come from a military family, and my taxes pay for the support and upkeep of our troops in the field, in the air and on the seas. The Bleating Sheep of the Ignorant Right screech constantly that everyone should support the troops, and gauge a person's patriotism by their level of support for the War.

Then why don't they support our troops? Many of these bleaters are the right age to enlist, and the military is experiencing a falloff in enlistments. Ah, they say, well, it's like this ... I can do so much more here by going into politics ... I have an old football injury ... I'd love to, but my cotillion is next week ... and so on.

They are cowards, unwilling to fight the war that they themselves root for like famished hogs going after warm slop.

I am flying my flag today, as I do every day. Old Glory looks a bit tattered and frayed, so I might retire (burn) it later this year. As it is right now, it looks ... strangely appropriate, as our freedoms here are being eroded and our military is stuck in a bad situation based on deceit and "fixed" intelligence.

Impeaching George Bush will not be an answer to this travesty, as he will be replaced by Dick Cheney. Imprisoning Karl Rove and changing the party balance in the Congress is a far better course of action. Having the Democrats in power in the Senate or the House would act as a valuable check on the increasingly paranoid Administration.

Jesus creeping shit, I'm sorry - I wanted to talk about the 4th of July, and went off on a political rant.

Enjoy the fireworks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home