Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sheer Irony

At times, the best comedy lies in juxtaposition, the sudden meeting of two seemingly innocuous things that, when viewed together, make your ribs start hurting.

For example:

Earlier today I was watching (in a very offhand way) The Potter's House, a religious broadcast starring the Extremely Reverend T. D. Jakes. I ordinarily don't watch such things, but I was channel surfing and the news was no longer holding my interest. The show ended, and I looked up as a commercial came on.

It wasn't for a car dealership (something that would be appropriate, considering the show).

It was a phone sex line.

I'll say that again.

It was a phone sex line.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing. The juxtaposition of the two was just priceless. To my mind, both are prostitutes, but one is wrapped in respectability while the other is almost gigglingly naughty.

I guess you had to have been there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aikäne said...

Reminds me of the old song, "Telephone to glory, O what joy divine; I can feel the spirit moving on the line."

Who better to titillate with phone sex commercials than the captive religious audience? Those advertisers don't miss a trick, do they?

6:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Walt said...

::LOL:: As a friend of mine said, "They have to pay the bills."

8:39 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home