Monday, January 16, 2006

Roughing It

I broke out my camping gear for the first time since 2001, determined to spend a weekend in the woods. It's nice and quiet (generally - see below), and I wanted to have some effect on my humors. Cutting myself free from cell phones, computers and all the other electronic paraphernalia can be a treat.

It was windy on Saturday - very windy, but the tent stood up to it, and I enjoyed hearing the wind through the trees. As night fell the temperature started to drop, so after having supper and taking another walk I went to sleep.

Well, some neighboring campers decided that it also the right time to start cranking up the techno dance mix 'music,' and I found myself wishing that I had brought my shotgun. You know, "one round, fire for effect ..." But they eventually shut up, and I tried to sleep.

I woke up about 7:30 Sunday morning and Lawsy was it cold! While heating up water for cocoa on my primus stove I noticed that my fingers and the backs of my hands were a nice medium shade of blue. A bit of frostbite (frostnip?) that was easily treated, following the guidelines from the Red Cross First Aid manual I learned from as a child (vintage 1940!). You know, dipping the hands into hot water actually works - hurts like hell, but works.

I'll be out in the woods again, when it gets a tad warmer.

3 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

There's good noise and bad noise. The wind rushing through the trees is good noise. Most noise created by humans is bad noise. Yesterday is was almost silent here except for the birds. Then in the beauty of that noise a neighbor's kid cranked up one of those scooters that sounds like a lawnmower on steroids. Bad noise!

1:39 PM EST  
Blogger Walt said...

Watching the squirrels chase each other was fun, too.

3:17 PM EST  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

LOL, I know what you mean. I would rather spend time with nature than with a lot of people I know. We bought a new bird feeder this weekend, brought it home and filled it with thistle and hung it on the new shepard's hook. Then we stood there just staring at it waiting for an American Gold Finch to show up. This time of year they are in our area. As of now, no takers yet. We nerd out ever so often but it's good nerding.

Since I'm no longer at BS, I have more time to visit blogs like yours. That's a nice thing!

4:26 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home