Monday, October 09, 2006

Day One: In Transit, Or Why Getting There Is Not ALWAYS Half The Fun

There are few things or people I truly hate. To me, hatred requires a level of personal commitment that I really can`t waste my energy on.

I don`t hate flying; but I dislike it a lot.

Time was I had to get half-drunk just to step into the cabin of an airliner, and I considered having to sit in a cramped position for hours, feeling my ears trying to explode from the pressure differential to be among the top ten things I can do without.

I must be mellowing somewhat in my old age, since all it took to mellow me out for the first leg of my trip was a single gin and tonic; the second leg took a bottle of beer. It may have been the fact that I was short of sleep, too.

I got no real sleep on the long flight across the Atlantic. It seemed that every twenty minutes the plane would wobble or lurch and I`d wake up just a step away from a full William Shatner Twilight Zone "THERE`S A MAN ON THE WING OF THIS PLANE!!!!" moment. And then we had to delay landing at Munich`s Franz Josef Strauss Airport because some complete and utter idiot was slow in taxiing his plane off the runway.

But I`m here now; the weather is sunny, mild and dry, and I intend to make the most of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

have a great time and let us know when you get back!

9:19 AM EDT  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I went over and watered your plants, took in your mail and fed the pets. I put the mail on your kitchen counter.

It seems so strange to be talking to you and knowing you are all the way over there.

I understand about flying, not my most fun thing to do either. I have long legs and there is no place to store them when flying. Plus just the idea of being in a plane way up there scares me.

Okay now go forth and take pictures and have a cocktail for me. Talk to you tomorrow. Yes, I locked the door when I left your house :)

10:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Walt said...

Thanks Pat!

:-)

11:11 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home