Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Day Three, Or Museums

(Supper last night was a Munich tradition - weisswurst (veal sausage) with pretzels and a half-liter of Weissbier. The weissbier's made with wheat instead of barley, and has a sweet and spicy note to it. Yummy! After that I went walking, got lost, asked directions, got MORE lost, and finally returned to my hotel at about 9:30. Needless to say, I woke up with blisters.)

I did not let the blisters deter me at all, and headed out this morning for the trio of art galleries known as the Alte Pinakothek, the Neue Pinakothek, and the Pinakothek der Moderne (the Old, New, and Modern Art Galleries).

The Old Gallery is immense, and walking up the stairs almost redefined what sore feet mean to me. However, it was worth it, in terms of the works I saw:
Da Vinci's "Madonna with Carnation"
Duerer's "Self Portrait"
Titian's "Portrait of Emperor Charles V"
And works by Rubens, Boucher, the Brueghels, and on and on.

The New Gallery is a bit smaller, and was rebuilt after the War to house collections that got scattered. Some of the works I saw there:
Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" and "View of Arles"
Monet's "Water Lilies"
Sculptures by Canova, and others.

The Modern Gallery is devoted to design and architecture, and includes cars, motorcycles, computers, chairs and furniture, as well as paintings by Kokoschka. Whoever would think that a Pratt&Whitney Junior Wasp airplane engine could be considered artistic?

After those three I hitched a streetcar back to the stop closest to my hotel, then soaked my feet for a bit. I'm going to go to the main train station now to arrange a ticket (I hope) to watch the local soccer team, FC Bayern Munich, play at Allianz-Stadion on Saturday (failing that, I spotted a small sports bar where I can watch it and drink beer).

Then I'm grabbing a bite to eat, swing by a druggist for some aspirin, and hit the bed early.

3 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I was at your site and about to leave a comment this morning when blogger crashed. I don't know what happened but is was big.

Isn't it amazing the way you feel when you are looking at original great art work? It's magical.

Hope the feet feel better. If I ate what you ate, it would be my stomach that would be in pain, not my feet.

Have fun! See ya tomorrow

10:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Walt said...

Pat, I started to get choked up while looking at some of the artwork. These are things I had only heard about or saw in books. To actually be there, to see them with my own eyes, was amazing.

12:14 PM EDT  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I know exactly what you mean and if I could see what you have seen, I know tears would roll and roll.

7:57 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home