Wednesday, October 08, 2008

NYC Trip - In Transit

Well, that was fun. I hopped aboard an Amtrak train in Florida for a twenty-four hour trip to Manhattan. Now, there were certain advantages and disadvantages to this.

One, I would arrive pretty stress-free, at Penn Station right in the heart of Manhattan, and from there I could hop a cab to my hotel.

Two, it was twenty-four hours in an airliner seat that reclines, has folding leg and foot rests, but still is nowhere near as comfortable as a bed.

Needless to say, I slept like a baby.

I slept maybe twenty to thirty minutes.

Woke up and complained.

Then went to sleep for another twenty to thirty minutes.

As soon as I got my luggage I hied me straight to the ticket counter and plumped for a berth on the return trip. Way pricier, but meals are included and I can face another 24 hours without bursting into tears.

The cab ride to the hotel was Reason #4759586256.1 why I refuse to drive here - it's either feet or the subway. I was wide awake upon arriving at the Rockefeller Center Hotel. The room's well-appointed and very modern in decor and furnishings, but rather small (like the Best Western Cristal I stayed at in Munich, it's optimized for business visitors).

I'm going to take a little rest, get my cameras ready and go walkies! St. Patrick's Cathedral and Rockefeller Center await!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home