Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Titan Falls

A single-engine plane crashed earlier today in Georgia. The pilot of the plane was one of the greatest test pilots America ever had.

His name was Scott Crossfield. Back in the late 50s and early 60s, he flew the maiden flight of the X-15 rocket plane, and became the first human to fly faster than twice the speed of sound. His exploits helped prove that human beings could survive the acceleration needed to fly into space, and all astronauts owe him a debt.

He died flying, a thing he loved to do.

2 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I feel bad that he died, but I somehow think it happened the right way. I hope he didn't suffer.

10:47 AM EDT  
Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

I too want to die doing what I love to do... and no, not die blogging... heh

12:48 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home