Friday, October 13, 2006

Day Five, Or Friday the 13th ...

(Actually, the 13th is usually my luckiest day.)

A little word of advice for those of you considering a vacation to Germany - most places (like museums) open at 10 AM and close at 8 PM. And sometimes they never open on Sundays.

So I took my time getting ready to sojourn today, and made my way down to the Isar River. Munich straddles this river, and a diversion of it supplies water to the artificial lakes in the English Garden. On an island in the river stands a huge building dignified with the name of German Museum.

Now, you`ve probably gotten the idea that I like museums, and this place almost vacuumed me up never to be seen again. It has an entire tugboat and a sailing coastal fishing vessel on display inside their Maritime Hall, along with a working windmill (you know, the kind the Dutch use) sitting just outside. Their aircraft hall has a beautifully restored Junkers Ju-52 trimotor transport plane.

Computers? How about the first German computer, built by Zuse in 1944? Or Dr. Geiger`s first radiation counter? And of course it has a lot of other things in it as well, as the museum is dedicated to everything - chemistry, physics, power machinery, electricity, you name it. There´s an annex up in the northwest suburb of Oberschleissheim, and I will be visiting that Saturday afternoon (I couldn`t score tickets to the FC Bayern München game). What cheeses me off a bit is that they`re opening a transportation annex near the Oktoberfest meadow of Theresienwiese - but it opens on the day I leave!

Speaking of the Theresienwiese, I did get out there to take a few pictures of the forlorn and empty pavilions, as well as the towering bronze statue named 'Bavaria`that looks down on the field. It must be thirty feet tall, I swear.

Well, nothing much to talk about for today, so I'll try out another biergarten and rest up for my trip tomorrow to Dachau. Ought to be interesting, as well as disturbing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

I hope you are going to set up a photo blog when you get back. I love to travel vicariously through others. ;)

9:01 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home