Wednesday, October 08, 2008

NYC Trip - Day One

Okay, got here in one piece and only slightly sleep-deprived, check.

I got settled in at the hotel and started walking about. First stop was Saint Patrick's, a very nice example of Gothic cathedral architecture. Unfortunately, most of the lights were out inside and a lot of the light coming in was blocked by high buildings. The pictures came out, but they make the place look a desolate hole.

Rockefeller Center is right across the street and I made certain that I took a lot of pictures, both still and digital. I also went to the Top of the Rock obsevation platform on the 67th floor and got some spectacular views - the weather was mild and dry, so the sky's very clear. Similar conditions are expected for tomorrow.

I got a few views of the exterior of Radio City Music Hall (they had booked up the tours for today). I'll have to see how much taking a tour of the place would impinge upon my itinerary, since tomorrow I start museum prowling.

After taking a brief rest at the room I went back out in search of various food-like substances that I can declare dinner and consume. I eventually settled on a little hole in the wall place on 8th Avenue and 48th Street (roughly three blocks west and three blocks south of my hotel) that made pizza and sold it by the slice. Handmade, with pepperoni and sausage, yummy! Then I found a small food mart and bought a slice of cake for dessert.

In terms of ethnic food I could die quite happy and looking like Mr. Creosote, but I'll try to hold back. Again, it's a question of what's your fancy - Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Indian, Italian, Greek were all within a six-block radius.

On my foray I started walking back up 7th Avenue and discovered that I had entered Times Square from the south, a bit of info that will stand me in good stead tomorrow, since I plan on taking pics of the place at night.

And that was Day One.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home