Sunday, October 12, 2008

NYC Trip - Day Four

I got up not quite as late as I did, and walked (again!) up to Central Park with the intention of visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It didn't open until 9:30, so I wandered through the park again (visited the Belvedere Castle at the heart of the grounds), then spent nearly three hours inside the museum.

What's your fancy? Medieval art? Art from ancient Egypt (including an entire temple, a gift from the Egyptians for our help in saving archeological treasures from the waters of Lake Nasser)? Modern works? The Met's got it all. They have a huge collection of arms and armor, even Tibetan.

So, needless to say, I walked too much again and was already quite footsore when I boarded the M4 bus and headed north. At the north end of Manhattan lies Fort Tryon Park, and in the park you can find the Cloisters.

The Cloisters are an annex of the Met, built for the purpose of housing and showcasing the museum's collection of medieval architecture. A reproduction of a 12th-Century chapel is there, with one wall the original stone brought from France. Wonderful artwork, including the set of Unicorn Tapestries, incredibly old and quite possibly priceless.

After that, the M4 bus took me back to within two blocks of my hotel. I didn't visit the Apollo, or the Cathedral of St. John the Divine; I just flat wasn't up to it.

I had dinner at a local place (Heartland Brewery), one of two in the city, where in addition to good food they brew their own beer. I had fish and chips with a pint of oatmeal stout, which made an excellent pairing - the maltiness of the stout meant that I didn't have to add a drop of malt vinegar to the fish. Delicious!

Then it was back to the hotel, watched a little college football, then planning for Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home