Friday, October 10, 2008

NYC Trip - Day Three

Just got back in, and I only have four blisters.

Unfortunately, they're evenly divided between two toes, one foot each.

But they're not bleeding, which is a plus.

Started today's forays a tad late, about 8:30 with a brief walk north to the entrance to Central Park, followed by plunging into the park and taking a roundabout, winding route as far north as 90th Street, where I left the park (at Engineer's Gate, for those of you keeping track) and doubling back one block to visit the Guggenheim Museum.

Much of the Guggenheim is closed (particularly the spiralling ramp inside) and no photography is allowed beyong the lobby. The permanent collect features works by Picasso, Kandinsky, Gauguin and others. The featured exhibits were a collection of photographs by Catherine Opie, some of which strain the bounds between our conceptions about gender and offer different visions of community.

Then it was back in to the park, headed north and describing a great circle around the Reservoir until I again exited the grounds at 79th Street to visit the American Museum of Natural History. The last time I visited that was 35 years ago, so I was better able to appreciate the place. Well worth the trip all by itself.

I decided to forego the pleasure of walking all the way to the intersection of 42th Street and 12th Avenue (Pier 83), so I took a cab and at the docks I got a ticket for the Circle Line tour of Manhattan. The boat cruised in a great semicircle, taking in Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty and going up the East River as far as the UN Building before turning around. The trip took two hours, and then I walked back to the hotel.

A dinner at a Turkish restaurant named Uskudar (a must-see if you're in the Upper East Side, I highly recommend the Chicken Ardana) with an online acquaintance and then it was back to the hotel to massage my weary feet and prepare for tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home