Thursday, October 16, 2008

NYC Trip - A View from the Top

As promised, I will start posting some of my vacation pictures to this site, starting with my foray from my hotel about two hours after arriving in New York.

The magnificent edifice you see above is the Rockefeller Center (now the GE Building), home to offices, shops and NBC Studios. There's an observation gallery up on the 80th floor, so I immediately bought a ticket to go see.

The viewing was excellent, in fact a bit too good as there are some reflections on the security glass that can't be helped. Here's the Chrysler Building coyly peeking in its Art Deco style around the glass-and-steel bulk of the Met Life building. I have better pics of the Chrysler Building in the offing.

Off in the distance is Liberty Island, and the figure you see in the center of the picture is the Statue of Liberty. Ellis Island is just to its right.

Naturally, you can't really take a picture of the New York skyline without getting at least a glimpse of the Empire State Building. I got some pictures of the city at night from the observation gallery on the 86th floor (and I'll be showing them off as well).

The view from "The Top of the Rock" that day was exceptional, with Central Park laid out clearly as it stretches off into the haze and the upper reaches of the island. Not to worry - I'll be showing off more as the days wear merrily forward!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, Walt! I'm a lifelong NYer but my heart still skips a beat whenever I see pictures of our great City. Especially like the long picture of Central Park.

Thank you and I've added you to my "favorites."

7:17 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home